The Homemade Christmas Peppermint Patties are a must-try for anyone looking to add a special touch to their holiday festivities.
Combining a creamy, tender peppermint filling with a rich layer of semi-sweet chocolate and a dash of colorful sprinkles, these treats are not only delightful to taste but also a joy to behold.
With just seven ingredients and a no-bake method, they are surprisingly easy to make, perfect for both novice and experienced bakers.
PEPPERMINT PATTIES INGREDIENTS
- 3 tbsp (42g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tbsp (45ml) light corn syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (288g) powdered sugar
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 tsp shortening
- Optional: Sprinkles for decoration
- Start by combining butter, corn syrup, peppermint and vanilla extract, and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Initially crumbly, this mixture will gradually form a cohesive dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about ¼ inch thickness. Using a round cutter, shape into patties.
- Freeze the patties for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening together, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Dip each patty into the chocolate, allowing excess to drip off, and then set on parchment paper to dry. Add sprinkles for a festive touch.
Store these peppermint patties in an airtight container, using parchment paper to separate layers. They can be kept in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for three months.
Each cookie contains approximately 174 calories, with 28.5g of sugar, 7.7g of fat, and 30.5g of carbohydrates.
- Can I use sweetened condensed milk instead of corn syrup?
It’s best to stick with corn syrup for this recipe, as sweetened condensed milk alters the texture and flavor.
- What can I use instead of shortening?
Solid coconut oil is a great alternative.
- Can I use peppermint oil instead of extract?
Peppermint oil is much stronger; stick with the extract unless you’re comfortable adjusting the quantity for taste.
- How should peppermint patties be stored?
Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer, with parchment paper between layers.
If you’re enjoying making these Peppermint Patties, you might also love trying your hand at another delightful treat.
Check out our scrumptious Pistachio Cookies Recipe for another easy and delicious baking adventure