Imagine biting into an Air Fryer Chicken Drumstick that boasts a perfectly crispy exterior, only to be met with the juiciest meat on the inside. That’s the magic of air frying, and chicken drumsticks are arguably one of the best dishes to showcase this culinary technique.
The Charm of Air-Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Air frying has revolutionized the way we enjoy our favorite fried foods. It offers the same delightful crunch but without the guilt of deep frying. Chicken drumsticks, with their rich flavor and easy-to-cook nature, are a match made in heaven for air frying.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Chicken Drumsticks: Fresh-looking with no smell. Large family packages are economical.
- Olive Oil: A small amount to lightly coat the chicken.
- Seasoning: Your choice. Options include all-purpose chicken seasoning, Montreal Chicken seasoning, rotisserie chicken seasoning by McCormick, or even simple salt, pepper, garlic powder, or onion powder. Smoked paprika or chili powder can also be used for added flavor.
Instructions for Perfect Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Preparation: Place the chicken drumsticks in a spacious bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with your chosen seasoning. Ensure each drumstick is evenly coated.
- Cooking: Lay the drumsticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 30 minutes. Flip the drumsticks halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Checking Doneness: Ensure the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit using a meat thermometer. The juices should run clear. If the drumsticks are larger, they might need an additional five minutes or so.
Serving Suggestions for Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
These drumsticks pair wonderfully with a side of French fries, a hearty potato salad, or even a light green salad. The versatility of this dish means you can tailor your sides to the occasion.
Handy Cooking Tips for Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Consider preheating your air fryer if it takes a while to heat up.
- Space out the drumsticks to ensure even cooking.
- Use tongs for a safe and easy flip.
- For those watching their calorie intake, removing the skin post-cooking offers a lower-fat alternative without compromising on the juiciness.
If you love the idea of air frying chicken, you might also be interested in trying out a rotisserie-style chicken in the air fryer. It’s another delightful way to enjoy the flavors and textures that an air fryer can offer. Check out this detailed guide on how to make Air Fryer Rotisserie-Style Chicken 🍗 for a mouthwatering meal that’s sure to impress!
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks are more than just a dish; they’re an experience. They promise the crunch of fried food without the guilt and deliver on flavor every single time. So, the next time you’re looking for a dish that’s both delicious and easy to whip up, you know what to choose!
- How many drumsticks should I serve per person?
- Typically, 2 medium-sized drumsticks per person suffice. However, adjust based on the appetite of your diners.
- Can I use other chicken parts for this recipe?
- Yes, but remember, cooking times might vary based on the size and type of chicken part.
- Is homemade seasoning a good option?
- Absolutely! Homemade seasonings allow you to tailor the flavors to your liking.
- How long can I store the leftovers?
- Store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Is air frying a healthier option?
- Yes, air frying uses significantly less oil than traditional frying methods, making it a healthier choice.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (skin attached)
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon BBQ or chicken seasoning (see notes)
- Transfer the drumsticks to a spacious bowl.
- Lightly drench them with olive oil, ensuring a uniform coat.
- Shower them with your chosen seasoning and stir thoroughly, guaranteeing each chicken leg is perfectly flavored.
- If your air fryer requires preheating, do so.
- Dial the temperature to 400 degrees.
- Lay the chicken pieces either on the racks or inside the baskets, ensuring they’re laid out individually without overlapping.
- Let them cook for 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
- You’ll know they’re ready when they sport a crunchy exterior and hit an internal reading of 165 on a quick-read thermometer.
- The chicken’s juices should be transparent.
- If needed, extend the cooking time by a few minutes.
Opt for a seasoning that tickles your palate, whether it’s BBQ, a special chicken blend, or another cherished mix. For a simpler taste, a dash of salt and pepper will suffice.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner Entree
- Method: air fryer
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 299kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: air fryer, keto friendly, low carb recipe, quick recipe